Sunday, August 23, 2009

First Sunday back from school...

And already I'm procrastinating on homework. LeSigh. I'm sure I'll get it done eventually, but my time seems better spent on memorizing my newest monologue (Adriana from Comedy of Errors) and reading Antigone, which I have an audition for next week.

So, while I'm building up the energy for homework, here are some names. I've been using the BtN (www.behindthename.com) BabyNameGenie to find boys' names, and here are some new ones:


Alpin
- I've had Alban on my list forever, but this is seems so refreshing to me. Scottish, which is a good thing to me these days. Am I becoming a tryndee?
Anzo- Means "giant," which any child of mine is very unlikely to be. But...it's Anzo. The sound makes me so happy.
Arrigo- Italian form of Harry, and I'm crushing on it so much right now. The -go ending in general is fantastic.
Astrophel- It means "star lover." Yes, it's pretty ridiculous on an actual child, but the meaning keeps on drawing me back. Maybe coupled with something a little more realistic, like Joseph Astrophel (you're kidding yourself, Sofie...you wouldn't go for something that tame up front no matter what the middle name. ;-))
Aubin- I think it's OH-bin. This has such a friendly sound, probably because I have a dog named Oberon "Obie."
Bela- Seriously, why do all of my names mean "white?" That's not intentional, I promise. This is so incredibly handsome on a boy...
Benedek- I've recently loved the sound of Benedick (Much Ado About Nothing), but the "dick" is a bit...prominent, I'm afraid. So I found this one, which seems infinitely more usable.
Carlo- How I love "o" names. The "carl" sound is awesome as well, but Carl is a bit middle-aged and dated these days.
Constantin- *Swoon.* How romantic can you get? This has the most amazing collection of sounds (nst-nt-n...fabulous.)
Ezio- The "o" ending, means "eagle," and it gets even better. Ezio Pinza:

of South Pacific fame. His voice is seriously one of the most beautiful things in the world, methinks. I wuv him. I don't know why this name hasn't taken off, but that's okay. I can keep it for myself. :-)
Gillespie- I thought it was only a surname, so I was thrilled to learn otherwise. It has the most whimsical sound to me, but I'm going to have to find a better nickname than "Gil." Gus could work, I suppose..
Jago- Another "J" ending, another one that's prime for the US Popularity Charts. But, for some reason, it hasn't gotten popular. I'm stealing this one away for myself as well.
Klemens- A new one for me, but it's just undeniably handsome. It's got the "surname" thing going for it as well.
Lennart- A less mobster-ish version of Leonard? Awesome. Although this rules out the dashing Leo nickname, I am rather fond of Len. And who says Lennart needs a nickname?
Neirin- Welsh, meaning "noble." The sound is so gentle and the whole name reminds me of the sea.
Raoul- There's just intense handsome-ness here...you would never think it was connected in any way with the pedestrian Ralph.
Ruarc- Until BtN reaches a consensus, I'm using the "ROO-arc" way, with the "w" sound sliding into the "a." The "rainstorm" meaning is fascinating as well...don't see it very often.
Torsten- Could get trendy, but I'm including it because I just love the "Tor" and "st" in there. It's a less prissy version of Tristan, which is always a good thing.
Vivek- Sanskrit is a great deviation from my normal European span of names, and the name sounds so "alive" (despite not being derived from the same root as the actual "alive" names; Vivian, etc.) The "k" at the end makes it sound distinctly masculine.
Yago- I'm pronouncing it YAH-go, which makes it a great alternative to the malevolent Iago. Another go-go name, always a favorite of mine.

So those are my boys right now. I'm going to try and go through the same process with my girls, but that usually doesn't produce such lovely results (my girls are generally pretty stagnant.)

Okay...off to clean the kitchen and (hopefully) get some homework done before tomorrow!

No comments: